Blogs > Jim Collins' Editor's Notebook

Jim Collins is editor emeritus of The News-Herald and also serves as executive in residence at Lakeland Community College. His popular weekly column appears each Sunday in Comment in The News-Herald.

Friday, June 26, 2015

Class reunion open to all

“A pretty girl is like a melody...”

 Yes, indeed. My own personal pretty girl is very much like a melody. A melody that I can never do without.

There are many other songs about pretty girls, and they all make sense to me.

“There are girls just waiting for kisses, and I want to get me a few.”

Another compelling sentiment. I agree wholeheartedly. But do you notice the references to “girls?

Songwriters never say anything about “ladies” or “women.” At least, not in my record collections they don’t.

No, love songs are almost always about girls – especially pretty girls.

There must be a reason. I believe that pretty girls are here to stay.

Now, I don’t know the cutoff age at which “girls” become “ladies” or “women,” but I don’t care, and I’m not going to worry about it any more.

Here’s the situation: I am closely associated with several ladies who prefer not to be called “girls,” and that is OK with me. They sure look like girls to me, but what do I know?

My point is this (I knew I had one here someplace): My brother and I walked into Burgers N Beer in Downtown Willoughby a couple of Sundays ago and I was greeted by a very pretty girl who said, “Hi, Jim.”

She turned out to be the daughter of John Hesketh, who graduated a year before I did from Willoughby Union High School.

She wondered if the lady of the house and I are going to attend the annual high school reunion which is staged every year through the efforts of Ed Glavac, who was in Hesketh’s class (1945). I responded that it was in our plan.

The reunion is no longer exclusively for people who attended Union High. It is now open to friends. That is good, because we are running out of Union High people.

(The school closed about 1957 and was replaced by North and South highs).

That means you may attend. The reunion will be held Aug. 1 at the Patrician Party Center, 33150 Lakeland Blvd., Eastlake. It is a dinner-dance, slated for 4 to 9 p.m., with excellent food served family-style and dancing to the music of the popular Joey Tomsick Orchestra.

The cost is a very modest $25 per person. There will be an open bar, door prizes, a 50/50 raffle and a lot of fun guaranteed for all.

And that, of course, includes you.

Like all special events, there is a deadline. You must order your tickets by July 25. And you must submit a self-addressed envelope with a check made out to W.U.H. and sent to:

Ed Glavac
7465 Harding St.
Mentor, Ohio 44060.

If you would like to sit with friends, make a note of it when you order your tickets.

You can buy an ad in the program for $25, $50 or $100. Any additional information, for example your class year, any maiden or married names or other data would be helpful if submitted.

This is the 19th Reunion Dinner Dance, and if you can find a better meal for $25, let me know about it and I will give it a try.

If you have any questions, Ed Glavac can answer them if you call him at 440-953-0510.

The only problem the lady of the house and I have with the event is the timing.

We can’t get our two beautiful puppies fed and get there by 4 p.m. And in our household, the five animals (Maggie, Tricia, and the cats, Angel, Ruby and the newest member of the clan, tiny kitty Lillibelle) come first.

If you are an animal lover, you understand what I am talking about.

And we wouldn’t have it any other way.

Our feelings about the five of them cannot be expressed in mere words.

And that is the kind of people we are.



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're the best Jim!

June 30, 2015 at 1:41 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home