Blogs > Jim Collins' Editor's Notebook

Jim Collins is editor emeritus of The News-Herald and also serves as executive in residence at Lakeland Community College. His popular weekly column appears each Sunday in Comment in The News-Herald.

Friday, July 15, 2011

Readers, good deeds are all global

Now that my readership is building around the hemisphere (you probably think I am making this up), thanks in part to the inclusion of these words in blog form (I still don’t know what that means), I’d like to bring you up-to-date with the latest bulletin from Argentina.

I never expected to hear from anyone in Argentina, but after receiving an email from Mexico, as reported here recently, who really knew what to expect next? Next, apparently, is Argentina.

The Argentina bureau reports success in curing people of addictions.

Specifically, a man who was hopelessly addicted to heroin was cured of his habit after six months of intense treatments.

Not only that, our bureau chief in Argentina, Kim Advent, is spreading the word far and wide in South America about how much inspiration and enjoyment she receives from reading this column.

So far, most of the readers she has converted into becoming followers of the "Editor’s Notebook" are Argentinians, which is OK because a reader is a reader, but there is no way of knowing where this epidemic of South American readers will end.

I hope Bob Smith, to whom I introduced you in this space recently, is working as tirelessly to gain readers in Mexico. The problem is, we can’t count them as paid circulation. If we could, we’d have a gold mine on our hands. Advertising rates would be going up. People would be driving more new cars. But this stuff takes time.

I haven’t seen Kim for many years, at least five, maybe seven. And she really is doing great humanitarian work in Argentina, where she is a regular reader who looks forward with wild anticipation to devouring these weekly messages. At least, she said so.

When I knew her, her name was Kim Modzeleski. I mentioned two weeks ago I would tell you more about what she is up to now that she is in Argentina heading up our news bureau there. I also told you her name has a familiar ring because there was a relationship to one of the famous brothers, "Big Mo" and "Little Mo," who played for the Cleveland Browns.

Dick Modzeleski, who not only played tackle for the Browns but also coached the team for one game at the end of a season, is her former father-in-law.

After Kim and her husband divorced, she went back to her maiden name, Advent. Now living in Argentina, she is totally wrapped up in her work with doctors in curing substance abuse addicts. It is an inspiring experience for her.

One heroin addict who was cured had been involved in no fewer than 15 different treatment programs, none of which worked.

Now he has a new life.

Meanwhile, she keeps adding new readers in Argentina. The problem is, they read this column on a blog, and when they respond to me, I never know what they are thinking because I don’t read blogs.

I read emails, and 99 percent of the time I respond to them. But blogs are not my preferred source for acquiring literary information or inspiration. I do not indulge myself in them. But I digress.

Kim is president of Avanti Wellness, which represents CMI Abasto in Buenos Aires. CMI is a medical and philosophical center for well-being, which is solely dedicated to improving quality of life.

Her work is more complicated than I am able to convey in this limited space, but suffice it to say that she deals in identifying physical and philosophical issues that she says exist in every person.

Seven days of testing and assessments identify why physical problems exist. Treatments that follow alter habits and bring transformation resulting in changes that can cure addictions, among other ailments.

She is serious about wanting to help others. She can even arrange travel arrangements for anyone truly interested in curing an addiction. If you or anyone you know is interested, I can supply her phone number. It might even be toll free for a cell phone because it appears to be a Miami area code. But don’t ask me for the number unless you are serious about an addiction.

And one further word about Bob Smith of Ajijic, Jalisco, Mexico, who is home for a visit. He was born in Painesville and graduated from Harvey High and Western Reserve University. I saw him and his wife at the Holden Arboretum gala a week ago last night (met them for the first time, as a matter of fact) and they bring greetings from South of the Border. And yes, they are regular N-H readers in Old Mexico. Funny how the Internet works.

To leave a comment on this column, go to jimcollinseditorsnotebook.blogspot.com.
JCollins@News-Herald.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home